Monday, June 04, 2007

Fires

As many of you know, a lot of Southeast Georgia was affected by wildfires. Ever since Thursday I have been down in Waycross assisting with animal rescue and helping feed families displaced by the fires. My parent's church received a call for help from a couple of the local churches in Waycross so Thursday a friend of mine and I loaded up in my car and headed east.

I am by no means a vet, but I got to roll up my sleeves and help care for animals rescued from affected areas. We fed and watered the animals so that the caretakers with experience could assist animals with injuries.

Luckily no one was fatally affected that we know of, but so many families have been displaced by these fires. A lot of the local churches in Waycross teamed up to help feed these families and collect clothes and other essentials to see them through this hard time for them.

Now I'm back, hard at work. Tired. I am moving myself this week. I feel like I may smell like smoke forever, and even if I don't, my car will. But I can't tell you how rewarding the last 4 days were. It was exactly what I needed.

2 comments:

Vic said...

Jinxy, you have had such a hectic life these past months. What a wonderful thing you did, helping out. Especially in view of your impending move.

People so often forget about the animals during these trying times. I am glad you were there to give comfort.

A friend of mine just returned from your neck of the woods. She said the skies were thick with smoke and that the visibility was so poor they decided not to visit certain parts of Georgia.

I am glad you and your family remain unscathed. Good luck with your move.

Marius said...

Jinxy, I commend you for offering a helping hand to others. And I hope the move went as smoothly as possible.