Monday, June 11, 2007

Jinxy: The Patron Saint of Ex-Husbands

Well this weekend sure was interesting, and it will remain so for the next few days. Why, you aks?? Well, my ex-husband is in town, and he is staying with me this week. (Don't worry, I bought a lot of liquor to keep on hand the day he arrived)

Before I elaborate on that, let me get into my weekend in chronological order. Wednesday my mother had an operation. It was major-but-not really-major if you know what I mean. She was supposed to be in the hospital until Sunday. Well, She had the surgery on Wednesday and everything went well. She called me Wednesday evening at work and made me giggle because she had enough Percoset in her system that she had NO CLUE what she was talking about. I love dad for leaving the cell phone with her while she was high.

Wednesday I also got a call from my ex that he was coming in on Saturday but that he had not found a hotel as of yet. I had known he was coming into town for a while. He lives in France and usually visits for Katie's birthday (which is on this coming up Wednesday) I told him not to worry, we would work it out. I also mentioned this little tidbit to my father.

Thursday is when it all went haywire. My mother called me and informed me that her half brother and his wife would be coming to stay with us Friday night as they were passing through on a road trip (they live in Indiana) and they wanted to come see her in the hospital. Great... my half-aunt and I positively cannot stand each other, and the only reason we have not had it out up to this point is because my mother was always on hand to beg me not to say anything. Mom was going to be in the hospital, and I was going to have to play hostess... Not my favorite piece of news, but oh well.

Then, my dad calls. It seems my ex could not reach me, so he called my dad, who promptly offered to let him stay at our house with all of us... Sigh.

The day did get a little better when I found out my mom was being released Friday morning rather than Sunday. This meant the half-aunt would be occupied with my mother and I would be able to better ignore her.

So Friday mom comes home. She's looking good. The relative arrive, and we have a little mini family reunion. My mom's other brother comes over and he is looking good. It is the first time I had seen him since his heart attack just under 2 weeks ago. He looked surprisingly good. His wife isn't looking so hot. If you looked at the pair of them and had to guess which one of them had recently had angioplasty I bet you would get it wrong. Anywho... (Can you see the pattern in my disdain for the wives of my uncles? They sure do know how to pick 'em in my family)

So Saturday the relatives leave to go back to the corn fields and we prepare to greet my ex. I had to get my fiance to swear on a stack of Bibles that no matter what my ex did or said this weekend that we had to let him live because I need him to continue paying child support, and besides, Katie kinda likes him and we don't want to ruin her birthday. The ex shows up, no fireworks, everything goes smooth, even if it is a very awkward situation.

Sunday I stayed out of everyone's way and in my room all day painting doors and trim. I replaced all the hardware on all the doors in my room, and I must say they are looking better than new now. My room is almost complete except for the flooring which I can't buy until I stop being broke.

So... I spent all weekend playing hostess except Sunday when I turned in to a DIY segment on HGTV. I'm currently living in a house with my parents, fiance, child and ex husband (for the next week)

God I need a drink.

3 comments:

Vic said...

no matter what my ex did or said this weekend that we had to let him live because I need him to continue paying child support, and besides, Katie kinda likes him and we don't want to ruin her birthday.

Ha!

Your weekend makes mine sound like a rollicking carefree time in the country. Whooo, your stress level must be way high. Good to see you back, though.

jinxy said...

Nah the stress level is okay. I get to work until 7pm for the next 2 days (I'm getting off at 4pm for Katie's birthday on Wednesday) so I don't have to be around for most of it :)

Marius said...

You need to write a book or a short story at the very least and then sell the rights to some big Hollywood studio. Hm, we just need to figure out who has what it takes to portray you on the big screen. That's something to think about.

I’m so impressed that you’re handling this whole situation so well. Boy, you certainly deserve a drink. I'm glad your mom is doing well.