Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Hepburn's Golightly dress
goes for a heavy $918,000 at auction
And If I had the money I would have bought it myself...




THE iconic black cocktail dress worn by Audrey Hepburn in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's fetched $918,000 at auction yesterday. It went for just over six times its $137,500 estimate at Christie's auction house in London. Hepburn wore the dress for her role as Holly Golightly in the classic 1961 film. The bid, made over the telephone, is believed to be a record amount for a dress used in a film.


The dress itself was most likely not expensive, but the person that bought this dress most likely saw it as I do, an iconic piece that influenced modern fashion greatly.

We all know that Hepburn is a heavenly fashionable creature, but it is arguable that wearing this dress in this movie was her crowning moment. To this day, I run into people that don't know who Hepburn by name (yes there are some of those that exist) but recognize the picture of her in this dress.



On the other side, how many little black cocktail dresses are there in the world? But none has ever, or ever will, I imagine, achieve the level of notariety this particular dress achieved.

3 comments:

Vic said...

Absolutely adored Holly Golightly, and Audrey looked divine in that dress. She made every outfit she wore look fabulous. A true fashion icon.

I can't believe they sold the dress. It should have been donated to a cinematic museum.

jinxy said...

The proceeds from the Sale went to a charity that aids the poor in India. If it were not for that I would have been pretty mad about that myself.

Anonymous said...

audrey hepburn was such a pure beauty who loved fashion but not always in clothes. just in herself and that she beleived in herself made her the legendary fashion icon that no one can replace. my idol