Thursday, January 11, 2007

From Mrs. Barker to Mrs. Barbie

I don't know how many widely known this is (I freely admit I may be the only person who did NOT know this until recently) but Bob Mackie designed the costumes for the TV show Mama's Family, and won an Emmy for it. I knew of his work on the Carol Burnett show (who could forget the curtain dress?) but I had no clue he was responsible for Ma Barker's rectangular dresses. Just goes to show how far you can go, eh?

I just found it kinda funny the transformation that occured over the years...

3 comments:

Vic said...

I learned something new today. Thanks.

Oh, and yes, that image you saw is disturbing. "Is it Art" is a new series I've been thinking about. Critics are always talking about how disturbing art must be in order to make an impact on the public consciousness; but that other image, taken from real life, is even more disturbing. Does that make it art? I think not. But as a basis for discussion, it is a great catalyst.

Vic said...

Hi Jinxy,

I think I fixed the in-your-face shock factor of that image. The solution was simple, really.

Thank you for making me think twice about how to present this topic.

jinxy said...

LOL always happy to help, though my pic of Ma Barker really isn't much more of an appealing sight to surf right into :)