Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I've been unusually busy lately, and my life has been unusually dramatic lately. I can handle drama (though I don't have a flair for it that even comes close to comparing to Austin Scarlett, but who does?) but I'm ready for stuff to settle back down.

First of all: I got the results of my biopsy. It was cancer, but it had not spread and they got it all off during the biopsy. I'll go back in for further tests, but we are all quietly confident that I dodged that particular bullet.

Secondly: My mother and I have fallen out AGAIN... no big news there. My mother and I are probably the worst matched mother-daughter pair ever. She doesn't value anything about me that I value in myself, and I admit I don't value the things in her that she values about herself. Consequently, we spend a lot of time offending each other and refusing to take each other's calls. My daughter worships the very ground she walks on however (and to be fair the feeling is mutual), and for her sake I'm sure we will reconcile for a minute or two.

Thirdly: My best friend (who is more like the sister I never had) is getting divorced. The kicker: she is 6 months pregnant. She is married to probably the most ignorant and arrogant man in the South, and let me tell you that takes talent. Amazingly enough, she is one of the most fabulous people I have ever met. I have no idea how they stayed married for 3 years other than she just saw something no one else did (I certainly didn't see it). Of course because I'm divorced and we happen to be best friends, it's all my fault, says he.

Fourthly: I finished the painting for my living room, and I'm going to go ahead and finish the painting I started for my mom back in September. I'll post pics when I get home.

Fifthly: I finally got all of the cake crumbs and icing dollops out of my kitchen from the INSANE number of cakes I made over the holidays. The bad thing is, Valentine's Day is just round the bend... again, more pics when I get home.

Sixthly: I have been sewing up a storm. My daughter demanded a pair of gauchos to wear because it is not cold here and she claims she gets hot in long pants. The thing is, all the stores are selling arctic gear. But it's in the 60's outside in the shade. So I had to pick up a pattern and I made her first pair yesterday. Took me only 3 hours. I may even be getting fast enough to be a Project Runway contestant. Now all I need are some fashion design skills to pair with my sewing skills. I'm also working on a quilt made out of her dresses from last year. I don't have enough closet space for old clothes so I just cut them up and quilt them into blankets or accessories.

Anyhow, I am starting to think I'm going to have to drop a hobby. I just have too many irons in the fire. But I can't help it. I'm a creative soul, and if I could make a living off my art and my cakes, I'd never work a job with set hours again. I have tried a lot of different avenues to try and profit from my hobbies, but I don't have enough focus on any one outlet to really hone it into a marketable skill.

I am a compulsive hobby freak. In the past 5 years I have been involved with

Dancing
Horseback Riding
Cross-Stitching
Knitting
Crocheting
Painting
Drawing
Sewing
Quilting
Cake Baking & Decorating
Jewelry making
Beading
Bicycling
Web page design
Computer graphics
Pottery
Printmaking

To be fair, my dad is exactly like me. We roam from hobby to hobby, and do it until a new hobby catches our attention and ends up monopolizing our time. My dad is probably even worse than me. His have included learning to fly an airplane and getting his pilot's license, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, stained glass, painted enamel glass, woodworking, rebuilding classic cars, computer programming, gemstone cutting, you name it.

I think we are allergic to boredom.

3 comments:

Vic said...

Congratulations! My sister in law had skin cancer and it is under control. so I am sure your doctor's prognosis is on the mark. So sorry about the other bad news in your life - lets hope the Mother situation resolves itself.

As for hobbies, we suffer from the same afflictions. :) I suspect, Jinxy, this is what makes you whole. So you keep plugging away.

I hope you put your Valentine's Day cakes on your blog. You are so talented.

jinxy said...

Thanks for the congrats!

I'm going to post pics of my X-mas cakes, I just have to get them all out of my email account. My customers usually provide me with pics of the cakes.

My mother is crazy. Once her meds take effect, we will all be fine... Someone get the woman a Martini for god's sakes!

(You can't really blame her. She has had to put up with me and my dad for 25 years. That's probably enough to drive any person insane)

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and was reading back through, and I couldn't help but recognize myself in your "hobbyhopping"--of course I try to play it off as less being a dilettante and more having too much talent for one medium. ;) Your art and your cakes are beautiful, so I'm very pleased to have wandered over here!