Monday, March 26, 2007

Yard work and Paint colors

It has been a weekend. We really got started with the house this weekend. One of the challenges we are facing is a packrat of monumental proportions in my dad. He has 20-some-odd years worth of junk all in that house and yard. When my mom gets on to him to get rid of something, he just turns it into what he calls "yard art" i.e. just plant some shit in that piece of junk and he won't have to haul it to the dump. So now I'm having to do it. Ugh. It's bad when the dump man looks for your visits and knows you by first name on sight.

As far as the house goes, don't get me started. He's always been a packrat, but when I moved out he went wild. He has a kiln in one of the old bedrooms. I'm not even joking but wish I was. He has all the stuff for woodworking, scuba diving, stonecutting, a lathe, tools for every known purpose to man, old computers, a welding station, a huge rock tumbler, you name it, we got it. Crammed into a 1700 sq ft house. Oy.

So this weekend I started piling up the junk by the road and we started hauling it off. I also started hacking through the wilderness that used to be a front and back yard. We made some serious headway with it Friday evening-Saturday.

Yesterday I got the flower bed in front of the house totally re-planted and we got my daughter's room started. We got the carpets torn out and her ceiling painted, and the old ceiling fan taken down. This week I have to buy paint for her room ad what will be the guest bathroom. We are totally remodeling it ASAP.

I worked so hard this weekend. I think I might finally shift all those pounds I gained back when they had me on all those steroids for my allergies. And, by the way, my allergies have not been getting to me despite the fact that grass pollen has been out so bad that my car is now yellow...

Speaking of colors... I have to pick out most of mine this week. What a job!!! I know my daughter wants her room pink, and the bathroom will probably be a pale plumb, but I want to reserve judgement for the living room color until we get the new laminate floors in... There's only about a million shades of green out there. No pressure or anything...

1 comment:

Vic said...

Oh, my, we had to do the same thing when we moved my mother in law into a smaller dwelling, and my parents. Mom is a packrat too, so I feel for you.

Have fun choosing those colors. I am agonizing over the new color in my guest bedroom. Most folks won't even notice the difference, as the change will be subtle. But I'll know!