Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A New Perspective

Someone at work sent me a quote today, and given what I was feeling yesterday, its relevance to me really hit home. Let me share:

Frederick Douglass:
Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will.


I have been letting my stress overpower my life. I have been letting the struggles of daily life get me down, and maybe I need to take a new perspective on it. Maybe, just maybe, all of this daily struggle I've been experiencing lately is leading to some great thing in my life. It may not, but the hope that it may be is enough to help me chill out and relax a bit.

My grandmother has always said that the best things in life are often the hardest to obtain. I think I need to view this daily struggle I've been going through as a struggle to obtain peace of mind. Then I can be more proactive and positive in my thinking. Maybe if my attitude changes it will get easier to handle.

It's worth a shot...

3 comments:

Vic said...

Of course the answer comes from within. But a great pedicure and a whole body massage will work wonders as well.

jinxy said...

Oh don't worry, Thursday afternoon will be one of pampering for yours truly!

I'm trying a multi-faceted approach to this little problem :)

Marius said...

I really do believe these struggles help make us stronger, and, as your grandmother said, great things are the hardest to obtain. Life in the present will always be filled with trials and tribulations. But these experiences can only make you stronger.