Monday, May 21, 2007

Who saw that coming?

Well last week's Shear Genius had me totally floored. I know, everyone says that. But what floored me was not so much that Tabatha got booted, but how well Bravo was able to make her out to be the bad guy before booting her.

Let's face it, Bravo will take a character that no one has previously had any problems with or a character we like, and prior to booting them, they have to show us some footage that somehow makes it seem like they were in some way villanous. I guess they think we will think the person had it coming all of a sudden, and Bravo can point to the villanous footage as justification. It is an openly manipulative strategy that is surprisingly effective.

That is not to say that Bravo fabricates flaws in people. They don't. The footage you see is real, even if it is edited to within an inch of its life. But I have rarely seen the tables turned on a character like they were on my dear Tabs.

She went from the tough-love talent to a Shrieking Harridan in one episode. Ugh.

This is not to pull the blame off Tabs' shoulders. Mere weeks ago she was pontificating to Evangelin on professionalism, and 2 weeks later she is unloading petty BS drama to what is supposed to be a bride on her wedding day. GIRL!!! I have to commend that bride for not asking Tabs to shut the hell up and just fix my hair.

Also, bad model choice. It is far harder to create a look of continuity when your models all have different hair color. Drastically different hair color. I think that's what actually saved Boogie and Ben. They may have had drastically different styles going on, but it was all the same color hair and that made it look marginally more continuous.

Anyhow, now that Tabs is gone, the title is Daisy's for the taking. If our cute little Cuban can just hold it together through the end and not fall apart, she has this thing. But I know better than to count my chickies before they have hatched. I'm eagerly anticipating the next twist in this wonderful little competition.

2 comments:

Vic said...

I agree with your assessment, and frankly hope Daisy will win. Tabatha focused too much on the competition and not enough on herself and her own talents. That did come through. Too bad. Thank goodness the show still has Dr. Boogie, or it would be entirely characterless.

Marius said...

All excellent points. I also want Daisy to win. She's the most talented of the remaining stylists.